Reply by MonteCristo

  • Advertise with us

Posted on A question: what is the difference between a Jointer and a Jointer/Planer?

View MonteCristo's profile


2099 posts in 2155 days

#1 posted 01-19-2013 08:14 PM

The short answer is no. A jointer flattens one face (or edge), but to make the opposite face flat and parallel, you need to use a planer.

Some people seem to use the term “jointer-planer” when they really mean “jointer”. Then there are the European style combination machines that actually are the two machines in one.

To make an opposite edge parallel, you wouldn’t use a planer, rather you’d run the piece thru your table saw. You don’t want to run a board thru a planer on its edge as it would not be stable oriented that way.

-- Dwight - "Free legal advice available - contact Dewey, Cheetam & Howe""

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics