Reply by Dan Lyke

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Liability for building lamps, etc.

View Dan Lyke's profile

Dan Lyke

1519 posts in 4092 days

#1 posted 11-16-2012 05:39 PM

Might be worth springing for a copy of the ANSI/UL 153, “Portable Electric Luminaires” standard, but in a quick web search it appears to me (and I haven’t verified this with a visit to the store) that you can buy a UL approved assembly which has the socket to the plug. At that point the only thing you’re worried about is lamp shade clearance.

I’ve tried a quick Google search of the web site looking to see what standards they’ve got, but I suspect that if you use the best plug/socket assemblies you can get and simply incorporate those into your frame, make sure you have reasonable lampshade clearance, and sell the things with CFLs (which are quite a bit cooler than incandescents), you’ll never have a problem.

-- Dan Lyke, Petaluma California,

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics