Reply by Peter Oxley

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Glass cabinet door muntins?

View Peter Oxley's profile

Peter Oxley

1426 posts in 3872 days

#1 posted 10-25-2008 01:26 AM

I’ve done a few of these – glued half-laps work okay for flat trim, or you can get muntin joint router bits. If you have a detailed profile, you’d probably have to do miters or muntin joints because half-laps would leave gaps. The easiest way to attach false muntins is with clear silicone – I use GE Silicone II Kitchen and Bath. If you put shallow grooves near each edge of the trim, extra silicone will get trapped in the grooves instead of squeezing out.

Interestingly, they were originally called “mullions and muntins” – mullions were the horizontal pieces and muntins were vertical … or were mullions vertical?? Anyway, now most people either call them mullions or muntins – around here they are usually called mullions.

-- -- --

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics