Reply by sandhill

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Alien artist ??

View sandhill's profile


2128 posts in 3921 days

#1 posted 10-04-2012 05:41 PM

Paul I have had a lot of dealing with this type of situation and my advice to you is to contact and accountant and or lawyer when you are in AZ. They will give you the best advice. I have lived in 5 states on the east coast of the U.S. and it has been my experience that IF you consign your work the consignor is accepting all responsibility to collect any taxes due in the state they sell in. However you will be responsible for income tax for the profits you make to the Federal Government. The one catch is If its a hobby you don’t need to file or pay taxes. The catch in the catch is consecutive earnings that exceed $1,000 each year and increase over each year. But note that the Shop owner will report the sales on there tax return (Don’t believe them if they say they don’t) which could raise a flag especially if its to a non-resident in which case there are a host of issues that can arise. Also be aware that a legitimate gallery or consignment shop will probably ask for a social security number or Federal Tax I.D. number also known as an EID.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics