Reply by Tennessee

  • Advertise with us

Posted on What kind of wood is this??? (if it is wood)

View Tennessee's profile


2887 posts in 2687 days

#1 posted 08-22-2012 05:18 PM

Having worked in Shanghai for 16 months in the furniture industry, that is what we call “rubber wood”. It is a fast growing species somewhere in the mahogany family, and usually comes out of Southern China or almost anywhere in the Indonesian area. It is light, easy to work, and take a fair beating, hence the nickname, “rubber wood”. Used a lot for high usage furniture coming out of China, such as beds, upholstered furniture legs and wooden arms, etc.
Matter of fact, I live within 50 miles of both Catnapper and La-Z-Boy furniture plants, and I can guarantee you they are screwing on rubber wood legs and wooden arms as I speak, to their furniture.
The finish was probably simply a one coat tinted lacquer that goes on in a hurry.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics