Reply by John Fry

  • Advertise with us

Posted on splicing veneer

View John Fry's profile

John Fry

74 posts in 3695 days

#1 posted 07-23-2008 04:55 AM

AT first I also thought you meant “slice”, but you actually wrote “splice”. Do you mean to ask what is the best method of edge joining pieces of veneer together, as in a bookmatch, or radial starburst design?

This is a book matched “commercial” walnut burl veneer cabinet door right after pressing. You can see the veneer tape that was used to hold the two pieces together while being pressed to the substrate.

This is a 16 piece, “shop sawn” striped ebony, starburst radial design for a table top. Because they are 1/16” thick veneers, I edge glued them together just like regular boards, rather than using veneer tape.

No matter what you are talking about, perfect edge preparation is key to achieving gap less joints.

The only other thing you might be asking about is creating pictures by using marquetry.


There are many great websites that have tutorials,

-- John, Chisel and Bit Custom Crafted Furniture,

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics