Reply by MrRon

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Can't decide joinery

View MrRon's profile


4795 posts in 3268 days

#1 posted 11-28-2011 06:46 PM

Without commenting on the type of joint to use, I must first warn you against the use of wood for a cover. It will always be subject to moisture. That’s why the ones you can buy are made of plastic. Wood can be protected by finishes, but will always require maintenance to keep it from warping, twisting, etc. There is only one wood material that I would recommend. It is called MDO, (Medium Density Overlay). It is a plywood that has been impreginated with a plastic resin. It is the material of choice for signs used on highways. It doesn’t absorb moisture and remains stable. Being a plywood, you would have to paint it or apply a plastic laminate. It comes in normal plywood thicknesses and takes some effort to locate. Sign shops usually have it and can order it for you. Sorry I can’t be more help.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics