Reply by chrisstef

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Backsaw with strange tab at rear end of cutting edge

View chrisstef's profile


17386 posts in 3005 days

#1 posted 08-04-2011 02:50 AM

Im real sure about exactly what its for, but on Disston handsaws they have a little “nib” opposite the cutting edge, not behind the edge though. No one seems to have the real answer as to what its for but its been speculated that you could hang it from your tool belt off a string or it could have been used to start a cut by drawing the nib over your mark.

Ive got an old Disston back saw thats still straight and sharp after about 25 years of sitting in my grandfathers basement. Id look for those, they should be fairly easy to find at tag sales and flea markets.

As far as a good hand plane keep youre eye out for stanley bailey’s, pre-war is considered to have better materials. If you cant find any baileys look for a plane where the frog is not machined with the sole of the plane as one piece, youd like them to be seperate. Other than that find one that looks like its in good shape take it apart, clean it, sharpen and tune it. I know doing that helped me understand how and why they work.

Good luck.

-- Its not a crack, its a casting imperfection.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics