Reply by Tennessee

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Need help deciding on a finish

View Tennessee's profile


2873 posts in 2511 days

#1 posted 07-29-2011 07:21 PM

I’m assuming you are referring to OSB, or oriented strand board. This used to sometimes be called “waferboard”, but I have not heard that term in ages. I don’t think you can get all the voids out of it, IMHO. And it will take stain based on what they used. Most of it is a collection of various softwoods. They basically chop up the wood into splinters of a range of lengths. Then, it is run down a chute into a pan-like press where a layer of wood is put in, a layer of bonder, and so on. Then they apply high pressure and usually some steam to compress it into OSB. It’s main use is underlayment on roofs and floors, and the upholstered furniture industry has discovered it big time. If you’ve bought a recliner or sofa in the last year, don’t look underneath, you are likely to get mad…

Anyway, if she demands it, you might just consider something like Minwax Natural, which will darken it ever so little, but make the grain pop. And it’s kind of like plywood in finishing – no matter what you do, it’s always going to be OSB.
Good luck!

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics