Reply by Rick Dennington

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Attaching Table Top Question

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

6168 posts in 3339 days

#1 posted 03-14-2011 05:02 PM

When I build a table that has a solid top, say oak, I use a fastner called a “figure 8”. You use a 3/4” Forstner bit and drill a hole about 1/16th—1/8” deep on the edge of the aprons, making sure it is below the top of the aprons…screw it down snug….With a table that size, I’ll put about 2- 3 on each end apron, and about 4 down the apron lengthwise. Turn the table over, place the top on the frame with the amount of over-hang you want, and screw it to the top….These let the top move with changes in humidity and seasonal changes. I’ve used them for years, and haven’t had a top crack or come off yet…..Here’s a couple of pixs to show how they work….

-- " It's a rat race out there, and the rats are winning....!!"

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics