Reply by Bob #2

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Explosion hazards of solvent-based finishes

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

3810 posts in 4223 days

#1 posted 06-03-2010 11:52 PM

I’ve used VOC’s for years but…never around open flame I’m not afraid of fumes as I am dropping the stuff on the floor or it’s solvents.
I simply wont use any flammables around any flame period.
I have an infrared heat system in my shop and have cut way back on lacquers during the winter until I get a better filtration system.
I agree with Jim, If you are just starting out go with the water based systems.

I have stored oily rags in a sealed tin from time to time but only for short periods ( 24 hrs)
There’s not enough air in there to support combustion.
p.s. the coffee can with the plastic lid – not a good idea.

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics