If you’ve been following this blog you’ll know the table saw ‘went for a Burton’ yesterday. I’m done dwelling on the inconvenience this will cause mid build and am resolved to just get this project done and delivered as soon as I can by any means possible.
The final duty the gutless saw performed today, before putting it in the garden shed out the way, was to hold the router inverted for making the cornice pieces. I would call it a table saw mounted router table, but then many of you with hours of labour invested in meticulous T-tracked proper router tables, might object to that nomenclature being applied to my scrappy effort. A piece of mdf with a hole on stretchers, straddling the saw’s rails to hold the router inverted. It works, I have several, fence is anything lying around, adjustments made by cramps.
Right from the very beginning, this job was going to have a massive cove cornice on it. When I was designing this thing, that big, exaggerated cove was on nearly every piece of furniture I looked at for reference. It was one of the first design decisions I made on the job. I even bought the biggest cutter from MLCS specifically for it.
So now, for making the pieces. Four blanks, 4 1/2×1 1/8, DeWalt 625 router, collet extension, monster bit from MLCS.
I set up my rudimentary router table and take a nibble at a time, until its full depth and more. Even though this cutter is 2 3/4” diameter, it’s not as big as I’d like it to be. I can’t say I’m terribly impressed by the bit itself. It works, it did the job, but it was a bit chattery compared to other big router bits I own. I’d give it 3 out of 5 in a review.
Above shows the full depth cut. I wanted to extend the arc flush with the face edges, so set the table up like this to pass the workpiece over the cutter at an angle and moving the fence out.
This last image of it was taken during the set up, the finished pieces came out just as well as I’d expected.
Extending the cut has added a full inch to the width of the cove. It’s awesome and just what I wanted to achieve.
With that done, I decided to make a ‘loaf’ for tomorrow.
Knocked up a little ‘loaf tin’ which got filled with expanding foam, and will use that as a contoured sanding block for cleaning up today’s work – the foam will take 24 hour to cure, but it looks like it should work.
Of course, I also need to bevel the edges to 45°, that won’t take long, have to do it on either the router table or planer (jointer) seeing as the saw’s gone.
Oh, and ‘going for a Burton’ is a peculiarly English saying from the days when the only suit a working class man would own would be the one he was buried in, from Burton’s Menswear of course.