I’m finally beginning to see pieces of this job rather than just planks and bags of shavings. The plan changed a bit. Each side panel is now going frame and panel construction as a weight saving measure, I ordered 5 sheets 3/8 mahogany veneered mdf, but they have to be made and they take two weeks. So I got everything ready for the ends, then made the doors, and the template for the beveled mirror. Took that off to the Glass Shop – might be ready this week or next. All the doors have offset tenons as the veneer panels and mirrors are held in with molding.
Bit of a seat of your pants moment, cutting the arches in the doors. The top rails are 5 1/2” deep – cutting the arch into the top rails prior to assembly wasn’t an option because the thin ends of the arches wouldn’t have glued well at the stile. I didn’t want to make diminished stile doors either. So they got put in as blanks, and the arch taken out with a router, then followed that up with a rebate cutter. That was new as well, from Axminster, I am liking that bit a lot, it made a small snowstorm of fine shavings, just taking out small passes at a time, climb cutting the end of the piece, the bit didn’t want to run away on me at all. Any bits of timber that I’ve sanded down look really nice, I’m beginning to get a good feeling about this.