So this is my first blog post on this site, and first woodworking project since high school (which I graduated in 2008). I quit college to pursue a bigger passion of mine, which was woodworking. I absolutely loved my wood shop classes in high school. And after going through a couple years or college, I decided that web design was not something I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Sitting behind a desk and computer screen all day writing out code, fixing problems for websites that never seem to be easy to fix. This was not for me.
I moved from California to North Carolina in August 2011, and moved in to my parents house because I was unable to pay my own rent out in Cali, couldn’t find a room mate in time before my current lease was up, and couldn’t find a new apartment or room on my current payroll at the time.
So here I am far away from my friends, trying to keep it together. I started growing out my beard, which I was unable to do before because my job required that I had to be shaved. I entered a contest on facebook where I had to pose like a greek god. This happened in November. The contest was sponsored by Virgin mobile, and The Immortals movie. I won the grand prize with my entry =) I saved part of the winnings to begin buying my woodworking tools.
Fast forward to February, and I got a hefty sum of a tax return, which I again saved to buy my woodworking tools. So here I am today, with a couple of lucky happenings to get me started in my journey. I decided that the first project I wanted to do, was not make something, but to restore one of my mom’s dressers. It barely had any finish left on it, it was dull, flat, and ugly. I wanted to give this piece of furniture and the wood that was used a new lease on life. I started on just one of the drawers to start with, so that I could imagine what the whole piece will look like once done.
First step I had to do on the drawer was sand it all down to the bare wood. I proceeded to sand it from 80 grit paper, all the way up to 220 grit. Once that was done, I put my first coat of waterlox on it. OMG what a difference. It looked totally different than what I had thought it was going to look like. A beautiful reddish brown wood, that was much darker than it looked initially before I started this project. I let each coat of waterlox dry for at least 24 hours, and then scratched the surface with 320 grit sandpaper between each coat. Iv’e put a total of 4 coats of waterlox original on it. I finished it off with a coat of Minwax Furniture Wax, let it haze out for about 20 minutes, and buffed it out to a nice shine. I am now very excited to finish the whole dresser.
Here is a comparison of a drawer I haven’t done anything to, and the one I finished.
Thanks for reading my first blog entry. The proceeding ones will probably not be as long as this one is, but I’ll try to keep you entertained along the way.
Also, if anyone could identify the wood here, because I’m not sure what it is.