LumberJocks

Kody's Bed

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Randy Klein updated 11-12-2007 01:32 AM 4 parts 2362 reads 24 comments total

Part 1: Overview

09-06-2007 11:15 PM by Randy Klein | 6 comments »

This is my very first project I’m attempting. I’ve been studying (books, DVDs, TV shows) the craft for a few years now while I built up my repertoire of tools. So that means almost every tool and technique I attempt, is really for the first time. The only other experience I have is with house remodeling. So far, everything is going well and I am actually nearing the end. It’s based on Rockler’s plans, with a few modifications which I’ll point out in the ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Legs

09-06-2007 11:49 PM by Randy Klein | 6 comments »

Here is a dry fit of the legs. It is a deviation from the plans, which called for laminating 2 boards together. But it would leave an unsightly glue line. However, I did learn, later, of another method that would not be so bad. I mocked up with some scraps a mitered approach, but it was tricky and never really closed up. I thought of doing a lock miter joint, but just didn’t want to invest in a bit that I’ve heard has a finicky setup. This method only involves ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Head/Foot board

09-07-2007 12:10 AM by Randy Klein | 3 comments »

Here’s the glued up head board. The foot board looks the same, just shorter. The slats are cherry. Each slat is dominoed to the rails. This is another deviation from the plans. They called for a dado in the rails, slats slipped in the dado, and spacers to fill the gap. But, I’m using the Domino for all joints, so I changed it up. But to accommodate for the tenons thickness, I had to increase the slats thickness and the rails as well. They’ve been glued up for...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Project Complete

11-12-2007 01:32 AM by Randy Klein | 9 comments »

I finally completed my very first project. A twin bed for my son made out of maple and cherry with poplar mattress support slats. The finish is BLO, blonde shellac, and paste wax. It took just under 6 months to do. A lot of that time was spent on researching what tool or technique was needed for the next step. Almost every tool and/or technique used, I did for the very first time. The plans were largely based on the bunk bed plans available at Rockler. I did make some noticeable...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase