The major upgrade was I planed the vise to fit flush with the bench top. I used calipers to draw the angle on the end, then using a planer sled, I shimmed the board so that line was now parallel to the sled. Ran the sled through the planer a few times until I got to the line. Now, the vise is parallel with the bench, at least width wise. I don’t have a pic of this though, so you’ll have to believe me…
To answer a prior question, I haven’t built the pivot point yet, but the first picture shows how you can imitate one by using a similar size piece at the bottom as the one you are clamping.
The second pic shows the problem I’m trying to solve. The solid core door that I have as a top has a bevel, probably for important door reasons. The door was about 36” wide and had planned on cutting it down to 24” anyways. So I decided to cut the opposite side, then rotate the top so the new-non bevel cut will be used against the leg vise.
The third pic shows how successful I was. The bevel is still there, but less so (darn circular saw, I made sure it was square). I think I’m approaching the diminishing returns limit since I don’t want to spend any money yet.
I’m may try to glue some leather to both the vise and leg and see if the leather takes up the gap caused by the bevel.
I still need to make a real pivot point for the bottom. But that will probably be my last fix. Anymore messing around and I might as well just build the new bench.