Here’s the glued up head board. The foot board looks the same, just shorter. The slats are cherry.
Each slat is dominoed to the rails. This is another deviation from the plans. They called for a dado in the rails, slats slipped in the dado, and spacers to fill the gap. But, I’m using the Domino for all joints, so I changed it up. But to accommodate for the tenons thickness, I had to increase the slats thickness and the rails as well.
They’ve been glued up for awhile, I’ve been cleaning off the glue. I really wish I had used painters tape to catch most of the squeeze out.
I used two different glues for this. On one, I used the Urac-185 (plastic resin glue). I mixed way too much, but oh well. It has a long open time, so I didn’t feel rushed. But clean up is harder. It’s harder and more brittle than yellow glue.
On the other I tried TB 2. It has a much faster open time and my glue up was going wrong. Everything was slipping out and not behaving. I had a mild panic attack as I envisioned having to redo a whole bunch of work when my wife walked out and provided a much needed second set of hands and helped me yell at the wood until it behaved.Lesson learned on this:
- use the plastic resin glue on complicated glue ups
- use painters tape to catch the majority of squeeze out
- make sure the wife is nearby
I still have some work on this piece though. I had went ahead with the glue up before I learned the importance of perfectly square and parallel pieces. I need square up the ends of the rails so they will flush up with the legs. Its doable, but just would have been easier to do before the glue up…