|Project by DouginVa||posted 04-13-2014 05:29 PM||1217 views||1 time favorited||1 comment|
By far the most expensive (woodworking) project I’ve ever undertaken. Two college diplomas (frames) for my daughter. The wood was dirt cheap. Left overs from precious projects. Took almost 5 years to complete! By now I hope you’ve figured out I’m talking about her education, not the diploma frame.
She wanted a traditional dark wood look and I wanted to put my hand tool skills to the test. So I decided to square up and dimension the pieces by hand. I started to use my recently acquired Stanley #55 plane….but theres a big learning curve associated with that plane so I put it back in it’s box for now. Maybe on a future project. The profiles were cut on the router table. In the past I often complained that photos of the finished frames don’t show with great clarity the profile of the frame pieces. I realized after the fact that I should have included a pic of the cross section of the frames so viewers can see the profile more clearly and give others ideas so I managed to get one in.
For wood I chose walnut and lyptus. Walnut can be tricky to work with when it comes to moulding an detail work becuase the wood is heavily figured. The lyptus is a beautiful wood and easier to work when making profiles. The lyptus has a very dark, almost ebony stain. Both are finished with Tried & Ture Oil/Varnish.
I also own a matt cutter so I did the matts and mounting of the diplomas in the school colors of Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Va..
-- Just a man with his chisel.........