|Project by revanson11||posted 04-12-2014 01:52 PM||1634 views||12 times favorited||7 comments|
Using an old Woodsmith design (#35) I made 6 sets of card boxes for my wife’s church bazaar and as gifts for friends. I wanted to do this project so I could use my new shop-made box joint jig (which I found here on LJ’s) and my new set of Freud dado blades. One box is made of cherry, 2 are solely made from hard maple and 3 have combinations of hard maple and bubinga. I was fortunate to find a nice piece of figured hard maple while looking through the pile at my local Menards. I did run into a problem when I resawed the bubinga. I started out with a 1” thich, nice straight 3” x 18” piece of bubinga but when I resawed it I must have let loose some tension because I ended up with two pieces that were twisted close to 1/4” end to end. I did have better luck with my second try though. I was also surprised at how hard the maple was. I used a 1/2” Woodslicer blade and when I started to resaw the maple the shavings were looking burnt and I was not making much progress cutting through the wood. I then set my bandsaw to its lower speed which helped a lot and as long as I went slow it worked okay. Some of the pieces are pretty small and delicate but with care it all went together nicely. The pieces are finished with an initial coat of Bush oil, then 2 coats of wipe on poly and finally the outside surfaces have a coat of paste wax.
-- Randy, Central MN