Why is this called a depth gauge?

  • Advertise with us
Project by DrewT posted 04-09-2014 09:11 PM 2918 views 6 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch

My take on other projects I’ve seen here…the splurge on this jig was for the $4 ruler. I probably over spent. With better planning you can make a much short version. The magnets on the bottom prevent it from tipping.

10 comments so far

View gsimon's profile


1231 posts in 1683 days

#1 posted 04-09-2014 09:15 PM

looks like money well spent!

-- Greg Simon

View hotbyte's profile


892 posts in 2545 days

#2 posted 04-09-2014 10:07 PM

Nice! Should it be a height gauge? :)

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

17685 posts in 2675 days

#3 posted 04-10-2014 12:22 AM

Great to have a gauge to measure the actual movement of the blade rather than the wheel that says you went so far!!

Good going!!................Jim

-- Jim Jakosh.....Practical Wood Products...........Learn something new every day!! Variety is the Spice of Life!!

View spudhogg's profile


98 posts in 1130 days

#4 posted 04-10-2014 01:49 AM

Great job! They call it a depth gauge because it measures the depth of the cut.

-- Spudhogg Woodworks

View Rick M's profile

Rick M

8603 posts in 1950 days

#5 posted 04-10-2014 01:59 AM

Maybe a width gauge since it’s sideways?


View oldnovice's profile


5911 posts in 2938 days

#6 posted 04-10-2014 05:22 AM

You beat me to it Rick!
Depth or height depends upon what you are using it to measure; depth of cut or height of blade.

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View Rick's profile


8287 posts in 2603 days

#7 posted 04-10-2014 06:24 AM

Try It! You might get to like it! ;-}

OH! Your Answer? See spudhogg’s answer.

-- Hope Everyone Is Doing Well! .... Best Regards: Rick

View Underdog's profile


969 posts in 1605 days

#8 posted 04-10-2014 12:12 PM

Depth. What a concept. It’s normally vertical. Please figure out how to rotate your photos… You’re smart enough.

-- "woodworker with an asterisk"

View Withers's profile


16 posts in 1215 days

#9 posted 04-10-2014 02:36 PM

Damn that’s a good idea! I’ve never thought of that before. I need to make one of those ASAP

-- If you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life

View SCOTSMAN's profile


5839 posts in 3155 days

#10 posted 04-10-2014 07:45 PM

That’s as stands is actually a height gauge,used to tell the exact height of something from the base up to the top or distance being measured if not all the way maybe say to a given height line or in this case the height setting of a saw blade .A depth gauge goes internally into something like a bowl or box being cut on a lathe and it tells you how deep you have drilled or cut so as not to go too deep I hope this helps. Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics