|Project by EarlS||posted 04-06-2014 01:04 PM||2476 views||0 times favorited||19 comments|
If I knew how to set a post to music this one would have Etta James “At Last” playing in the background.
We moved into a fixer-upper a little over a year ago which meant the woodworking equipment was covered up and put away until the shop made it to the top of the list. Finally, in November it did. The initial painting, trim, doors, and such that come with getting the easy stuff out of the way on a renovation was finished. Time to get into the woodworking – new stairs, bar, kitchen cabinets, the list is endless. which meant I can work on the shop!!!
One of the reasons we bought the house was the detached 2-car garage that came with the house – perfect size for a shop and my truck. While the garage was built a year before we moved in, it was in sad shape: no lighting, no windows, no insulation, OSB on the walls, wiring that was not up to code. As an extra challenge the sill plates for the walls were sitting on the slab, at grade which meant all of the water that accumulated around the slab was seeping under the wood into the garage. The floors pitched to the outside which meant there were puddles of water every time it rained. Lastly, we live on a steep lot which meant the garage had a tall retaining wall around the back and side that was falling down.
I hired a masonry and hardscape contractor to install the correct type of retaining since I didn’t need another back surgery related to retaining walls. Once he finished, I started on removing all of the OSB, installing 3 windows, wiring, getting it insulated, and installing an electric heater.
There are 12 LED can lights in the ceiling that provide plenty of light and the electric meter doesn’t spin like a top when the lights are on. The local utility also has a 50% rebate on them which helped considerably with the cost. I also added 10 outlets on 4 different circuits so one circuit won’t get overloaded if I have more than one thing running at a time.
I used the blue board Sheetrock that resists mold and mildew. Since I was the only one working on the project, mudding/taping took the longest time to finish. After priming and painting, the walls were complete. I added trim to the windows and doors.
I spent many long hours reading about options to deal with the low spots and puddles on the floor. Finally, I settled on tile – yes tile. I tiled the entire garage except where my truck parks. Basically, I made that area the low spot so all of the snow melt or water from the truck should remain in that area and I can squeegee it out. I used silicone caulk along the edges to ensure the water stays there.
I wrapped things up by installing commercial rubber baseboard and sealing it with silicone caulk as well. A new door with windows in it also added some more natural light. Once it warms up I will apply some of the epoxy floor paint to the area where the truck is parked.
It’s been a long process but hopefully all of the water problems are solved and I can get to doing some woodworking again.
-- Earl "I'm a pessamist - generally that increases the chance that things will turn out better than expected"