|Project by bit101||posted 04-03-2014 02:16 PM||991 views||1 time favorited||2 comments|
Decided to make me a marking knife. I used an old hacksaw blade. Idea from Jack Houweling here: http://youtu.be/LqZuFVzHf1A .
1. Cut the blade, ground it to a point and polished the end to a mirror finish with my scary sharp sandpaper – up to 2000 grit.
2. Sliced up some leftover spalted maple and chiseled a thin channel in each side.
3. Epoxied the blade into the wood, then glued the two sides together.
4. Put a roundover on the edges, sanded the crap out of it, and finished with a couple of coats of danish oil.
5. Then sharpened a double bevel on one side of the blade. The other surface is left flat so it can sit tight against a straight edge.
Looks nice, feels good in the hand, and works like a charm.