|Project by jeffswildwood||posted 04-03-2014 01:23 PM||3085 views||9 times favorited||17 comments|
The engineer castle box. This is a project I have wanted to try for many years but felt the difficulty level was just to high. I finally decided to give it a try and did find it to be quite a challenge. I started with a basic box, measured 10 X 5 inches and expanded from there. Used rabbets for assembly and separated the top. The first obstacle was the hexagon towers. A 60 degree cut got this done nicely but then I realized I had to attach them to the towers. Certain parts had to be modified to allow them to be recessed at the corners. At this point alignment became a real issue. Originally it was to have four towers and I made four, but found out it would not open due to the rear towers. I had already cut the box top off for a hinged assembly. (Oops). Changed to two towers only. Now how to clamp the tower sides together. The answer was rubber bands and titebond II. I routed the edges prior to assembly to hold the end caps. The door area was pretty straightforward, re-saw four pieces and cut the angle. (45 degrees) Next obstacle was the tower and center tops. Tower parts had to be cut in a hexagon and beveled to form the shape. The answer was a 45 degree champhor bit. A measurement nightmare but a little trial and error I got it. used the same setting for the center. The caps sealing the towers had to each be cut separate as I was a little off with the hexagon towers. The blocks were easy as I had some scrap already cut to the 60 degrees needed to align at the corners on top of the towers. Needed 24 to cover this. The mirror inside the lid is from darker (copper?) mirror I had laying around and actually the first time I was able to cut glass accurately. Hinges are mortised in. Made with half inch poplar. The stain is special walnut and used three coats of gloss polyurethane. Quite tough as I used a foam brush for application. Really wish I had a HVLP sprayer at this point.
I learned a lot from doing this project. Using angles, accurate measurement, planning ahead, the list goes on and on. But now I have a nice original box for my military challenge coins and items from my time in the military as a combat engineer. Thanks for looking and sorry if I got a bit long in the description.
-- We all make mistakes, the trick is to fix it in a way thats says "I meant to do that".