|Project by mitchota||posted 04-03-2014 03:50 AM||1118 views||1 time favorited||13 comments|
This is a story, I guess, about some thriftiness and also some practice with skill repeatability. This nightstand originally started off as a screw-up with the chest of drawers you see behind it. The drawer fronts I originally made for the chest of drawers were pretty messed up since the stock wasn’t nearly as straight or flat as I needed it, so I scrapped those fronts and tried to salvage as much of the pieces as I could for later projects. Four pieces became an edge glued panel that I made into the top for this table.
I built this using pretty much the same techniques that I used on the poplar nightstand I built a while ago. The apron rails are connected to the tapered legs with mortise and tenon joinery and the drawers are made with 1/2” that I was able to do myself with my DeWalt 735 planer that my fiancee bought me last year as a birthday present. I finally got to use it for something!
The finish is J.E. Moser’s aniline dye in Cherry Rosewood. I started the finishing process with a 5:1 water to Elmer’s glue-all mix for glue size, and then applied the dye after that dried up. Protective coats were done by wiping on some gloss Varathane poly thinned 50:50 with mineral spirits.
There are some small mistakes here and there, but this is my nightstand, so only I have to live with them. Considering there will be books, a lamp, and a clock on it most of the time, I can live with it.