|Project by Notw||posted 04-02-2014 03:19 PM||3625 views||10 times favorited||12 comments|
My recently completed workbench. This has been a long time coming to upgrade from the 2×4 and OSB wall mounted workbench that I had (it got banished to the side wall for extra table space). I wanted to build a solid inexpensive bench with the ability to upgrade the top at a later date to a more solid top, so the base is attached to the top with 4 lag screws so it is easily removed. The top is 1/4” shorter than my table saw so it can be used as an outfeed table when needed.
The base of the workbench is 4×4 SYP that was ripped down to 3” square with 2×6 SYP stretchers, based loosely on the robust workbench design from Handy magazine. All the joints for the based are mortise and tenon, which this was my first time doing those. After making a jig for my router the mortises got a lot easier. The base is finished with a coat of boiled linseed oil.
The top consist of 1 layer of 3/4” plywood and 2 layers of 3/4” MDF all glued and screwed together and then routed flush. After this I polyurethaned the top and edges to seal them and then added the Poplar trim. I used 1×4 Poplar trim that is wood screwed to the top and then I used Walnut plugs to cover the screws. This idea I borrowed from Karen’s bench on the Wood Whisperer website.
The vise is a Pony medium duty woodworker vise that is lag bolted and screwed to the bench. The only thing that is left is to decide the spacing and drill a few holes for a couple of bench dogs but I have to wait for my drill guide to be delivered.
Finally, the top and sides received 2 coats of polyurethane for a little bit of added protection. The only other thing I would like to do is add some workbench casters from Rockler so it can be moved around the shop easier. And maybe some storage drawers underneath.