|Project by Matt in Franklin||posted 03-31-2014 12:38 AM||1397 views||4 times favorited||10 comments|
I posted this pocket hole jig and storage unit a little while ago, however I am posting a new aspect of it… the finish.
This was my first oil/varnish finish and it turned out great. I used 60% GF Arm-r-seal, 30% BLO (boiled linseed oil) and 10% naptha. I used the odd ratio due to the fact that the arm-r-seal is already a diluted wiping varnish and I wanted to use naptha to aid in faster drying times.
I applied three coats over several days. Each coat consisted of applying a generous amount (flooding the surface using a rag). The wood drank it up well, which is why I used 3 coats. I sanded with 320 and 600 grits between coats. I built up an ever-so-slight satin sheen and the surface is hard, dry and smooth as glass.
The oak plywood used looks completely different. You can see the original post HERE.
-- I'm just a simple caveman