|Project by Adam||posted 03-30-2014 09:09 PM||41574 views||71 times favorited||67 comments|
I wanted a Stanley 112 for some time now but they are pricey on E-bay and so I looked into the Veritas version but again pricy and I figured I could build something to hold a scraper blade. So I purchased a replacement blade for the Veritas Scraper plane and got to work. Let’s just say my simple blade holder got a little out of hand and this is the result.
The sole is made of maple, the sides, angle adjustment holder and handles are walnut, the blade holder and lever cap are cherry and there is a little Jatoba in there as well. The lever cap screw was stolen from a lee valley plane kit, the locking nuts were form HD and I made the rest of the brass parts from a ¼” brass rod. I also tapped the wood for the brass set screws in the sides and lever cap.
The last 2 pictures were testing it on some red oak. It took some adjusting but I eventually got it working correctly. I was surprised at how light it was. Finished with BLO and wax.
Here are some build pictures.
Cutting the tails on the table saw
Roughing out the shape which was refined with a spoke shave
I have a lot more pictures so if something is not clear I will try to post for you.
Thanks for looking.
So as woodchuckerNJ pointed out the ears that held the lever cap were not the best idea and when put to use they broke.
And Don W had an excellent idea to wrap brass around to hold the lever cap. I took his advice and here is the result.
A little epoxy and a little polish and here is the result
Thanks again for all the great comments and suggestions.
-- Adam, St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada