|Project by MasterSergeant||posted 03-29-2014 02:10 PM||1593 views||0 times favorited||7 comments|
Thanks to Steve Ramsey of “Woodworking for Mere Mortals” for the inspiration to build this. A couple of firsts for me; one my first tongue drum, two turning a drumstick and three my first attempt at dovetail joinery. All three I consider a success ;-D!!
Turning the sphere, for the drumstick, on the lathe was a challenge but I did get really-really close. I think I need to turn another one, drums need two drumsticks my grandson informed me
The tongue drum itself was more challenging than I first thought. My first attempt at the slits was a complete diester! I used a beautiful 3/8” piece of walnut for my first attempt. I quickly learned to glue temporary bridges between the slits to minimize vibrations which will snap off the tongues! After a couple glueing tongues back on real disaster stuck, the walnut piece vibrated off the bench and onto the floor shattering beyond repair. The slit top is now made of maple and after correcting first attempt errors I was successful.
Dovetail joints went well. I used my new Porter Cable dovetail jig and after a few adjustments I cut very nice tails and pins. One note; if your board you are dovetailing is the least bit warped the joints will mirror the warpage. I have one pin/tail with a gap just for that reason.
The tongue drum was never intended to be a true musical instrument and it is a far cry from being that but it is a terrific noise maker and the Grandchildren will love it :-)
Here is a link to my practice playing of the drum. After the video I did perform a little tuning and applied 4 coats of rub on Polyurethane finish.
as always thanks for looking!!!
-- Kelly, woodworker under construction