|Project by LeTurbo||posted 03-27-2014 07:49 PM||2722 views||13 times favorited||12 comments|
Just mucking about in the workshop. I needed some long clamps and felt stomach-sick at the price. So I went and got just under US$10 of meranti (Philipine mahogany, but not the good grade) and US$3 of brass rod. It was also an opportunity to practice some long disused skills, so I made them mainly by hand with hand-cut mortise-and-tenon and other bits. OK, I cheated on the sanding machine and bandsaw…
There are two long ones, just under a metre, and three at about 600cm.
I need to add some cork to the jaws. Otherwise they work OK. They won’t get a bone-crushing bite, but so far they’ve done all they needed to. Maybe, next time, I’d cut the shoulders back further as they sometimes interfere a bit with the work – you have to clamp at an angle. But heck, about US$140 saved.