|Project by TerryDowning||posted 03-24-2014 04:23 PM||1005 views||0 times favorited||5 comments|
While waiting for finish coats to dry on the Treasure Box and Cherry Box finished up this weekend, I replaced the faces on my plastic tipped mallet. While researching replacement faces, it was suggested that I make my own. These were turned on my lathe and were surprisingly simple to do.
I had some 2 ” Maple left over from a bowl I turned it round between centers marked out as many faces as I could with a parting tool. Drilled on end with a 1/4 ” drill so a 5/16×18 bolt could be screwed into place. Bolt was cut to length and held in my drill chuck for final turning to diameter and the little step that goes inside the head.
I managed to get 5 faces turned from Maple and one additional face from a scrap of delrin I had laying around. Time will tell how these turned out.
-- - Terry