|Project by MarkWilk||posted 09-16-2008 12:50 AM||1262 views||0 times favorited||8 comments|
So, I have been envious of Kerux’s logo pens ever since his first post. I finally set about finding the decal paper and clear coat and time to try a few.
My first prototype taught me a valuable lesson. “Clear” doesn’t mean permeable, so the clear logo set onto unfinished stock is not going to let the finish seep through. I did a Polaris pen with my wife’s logos on it, but set the decals on unfinished Maple Burl. Lovely wood, just not very appealing.
The second prototype taugh me a second valuable lesson. CA doesn’t build up without allowing for drying time. I put three coats of CA on the stock of the second pen, but misjudged the amount of clearance that it allowed on top of the decal. My extra finishing ended up smudging the logo a bit. Notice the fractured “g.”
The final pen taught me the best lesson. Wives still don’t enjoy pens. I finished my wife a great cigar pen in Pink Ivory with her company logo. When I gave it to her, Kris’ only comment was “oh, how nice.” Then, the pen disappeared in a gigantic purse never to be seen again.
I’ll be doing more, but not for wives…
-- Mark, Florida, http://penturner.wordpress.com/