|Project by Rob||posted 03-24-2014 10:57 AM||3194 views||4 times favorited||6 comments|
The board is L28 x W18.5” x T1.65”
I used Walnut, Hard Maple, and Sapele
The finish is called “Salad Bowl Finish” by General Finishes. I cut the finish with 50% Mineral Spirits (two coats)
So it took me about 3 weeks to complete this one. It was my first attempt, and I will not lie. It is very frustrating at times due to all the movement, and the wood being of all different species didn’t help the situation. But I am more than happy with the results, and the weeks of ripping out my hair and bothering some of the awesome, helpful peolpe on this site, has def paid off. I have made two more since this one, and will post them as well once finish is applied and dried. They’re becoming easier and easier to make, but one thing reamins a constant. THESE THINGS MOVE…A LOT. IDK if it is bc I am always using different species of woods, or maybe it’s bc there are som many glue joints (creating space for the wood to wiggle), the change in weather, moisture, or maybe a combination of everything. I am making the next one (my 4th) out of all Rock Maple, so we will have somewhat of a reference point as to if the problem could be to different species of woods all not getting along, and trying to settle in different directions. We’ll see, and I will post my results.
-- Rob, Middletown NJ