|Project by MatthewG||posted 03-24-2014 02:10 AM||1178 views||0 times favorited||9 comments|
This is the second time around for this chair and me. I had restored a set of four ladderbacks, had the seats recaned, and have been enjoying them since. One of the chairs had two of the top rails fracture. The front rail broke across a short grain section (yes, I did think mean, mean thoughts about the guy who did not pitch that piece when building the chair originally) and the side rail had a classic stress fracture. (Could be someone stood on it, maybe.)
It took me a while and a bit of LJ browsing before I figured out how make the repair.
The two rails couldn’t be replaced without taking the whole chair apart, which was not at all attractive. So I turned matching red oak replacement rails—they are 1” diameter with 5/8” tenons on each end—making each rail about 3/4” longer than it would “need to be”—more on that later. The end tenons were cut with a tenon cutter on a drill press, after turning the table 90 degrees. (A better turner than I could have just sized them on the lathe…)
Once the rails were “done”, I cut a scarf joint across them—this is why they had to be longer than “they need to be”! The length is adjusted by jointing off the flats; try them, and remove material until they are the right length. A couple of screws to hold the scarf joints in line, some polyurethane glue, and the clamping went smoothly.
In the last picture, the front rail has been replaced, and the side one is in the clamps.
Here’s hoping that I don’t have to do this again!
-- Matthew, from beautiful Wisconsin USA