|Project by BigDumbAnimal||posted 03-23-2014 02:11 AM||4330 views||12 times favorited||5 comments|
So I had a bunch of scrap left over from the other cutting boards I made before Christmas and after trying several different layouts to find a symmetrical pattern I stumbled across this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3uYaPgesp0 and thought I’d give it a try. Dimensions are roughly 12.5×9.5×1.5, it’s made of scraps of walnut, cherry, and maple. Finish is two coats of pure mineral oil and two coats of mixed beeswax and mineral oil.
I took the left over parallelograms and glued them into strips of equal length in a random arrangement. Then I made a plywood jig to hold the strips while I squared them on the table saw. I blued up the first board then squared it. Using my crosscut sled I established a random angle along the short axis and made the first cut taking off about a quarter inch at the top and ending at just over an inch on the bottom. I switched to the fence and used the new angle that I had established to rip strips out of the board at random thicknesses between .5 and 1.5 inches. I took these strips and flipped some and switched some and glued them all back into another board. I resquared this 2nd board and then repeated the process establishing another random angle this time along the long axis. When I glued this one up it bacame basically my final board. Having gone through the painful process of having to use a belt sander to flatten both sides of the boards that I made for Christmas I did some more youtube searching and decided to try running it through my DW734 12.5 inch planer. I glued some sacrificial boards along the edges to form a frame extending out beyond the front and back to eliminate the snipe. It turned out really well and I only had to spend a little time with the random orbital to finish it up.
All said and done, much easier than my 3D cutting board adventure. Thanks for looking.
-- Semper Fi BDA