|Project by WebErika||posted 03-21-2014 12:36 AM||3730 views||23 times favorited||19 comments|
This is my proudest project to date. Well pleased with the final outcome.
I had an old wicker swing with a cushion that was in perfect condition and I while I could throw away the wicker part, I couldn’t throw away the cushion. I needed to make a bench to fit the cushion.
Friends of mine who sell all sorts of trailers (www.thebikerbarn.com) had a pile of rough sawn wood that was used to ship trailers to them which they brought to me as a present. Oh was I excited! :D It was some beautiful, rough sawn hardwood.
With visions of benches floating through my head, leftover fence posts (4×4’s), a porch post (4×6) and the rough sawn shipping wood (various sizes) I had everything I needed and got to work designing a bench.
I have never built one before, but had some idea of how I wanted it to look. Big and chunky and heavy, but comfy to sit on. It needed to be 55 inches wide in the seating area and slope just enough to be ideal to sit and recline in. With no plan to go by, I did wing it as I went. Making design adjustments in my head as I kept cutting pieces.
The hardest part of the job was sanding down all the seat and and back boards. They were VERY rough, but so pretty. I stained the legs and gave the rough sawn boards 2 coats of poly. It took me a weekend to put together … maybe 10 hours at most in total. I am still writing down all the dimensions, and the steps for my “project diary” as I need to build another one… I’ve had a few requests from people that want to buy one. :)
I already have some changes in mind for the next ones. Maybe some fancier joints, countersinking screws, covering with wood buttons, different wood, little more slope to the back, round the arms, etc. So many little adjustments :)
Hope you guys like it! Thanks for a place to share with fellow enthusiasts!
Staining the legs:
Fitting the frame together:
Dry fitting the bench and back boards
Final back and arrangement of boards. I kept the dark colored one as the middle as it looked odd on the outside edges.
I eyeballed the spaces in between each board. I think I’m off a millimeter here and there – but overall it turned out fine.
Final product without the cushion:
**Updated to add the top photos to the thread for easier viewing.
-- Have a happy day!