|Project by scoobydooo9r||posted 03-20-2014 06:57 AM||1422 views||6 times favorited||11 comments|
A couple weeks ago, my wife told me that she was going to donate one of her wall art photography prints to help raise money for charity in a silent auction. I was waiting for her to ask if I would build a frame for it, but it never came…. until she went to a frame shop to get it frame and they told her it was going to cost $150-$200… then she “remembered” that I could probably do it! LOL
So, I took it on and here is what I built:
It’s a walnut frame with a cove profile on the front. I used the table saw to cut the coves into the pieces using the cove jig I made a while back for another picture frame I built. I really like doing it this way, and it’s fairly easy to set up. I usually sight down the jig with a workpiece behind it to set it up. It usually takes a couple tries to get it dialed in, but it’s pretty fast. I just use some MDF or ply that is the same dimensions as the workpieces, and this time it took about 5 tries to get it dialed in where I wanted it. I know there are ways to do the setup mathematically, but I’m pretty sure that the test and try method works faster for me.
Although I am not particularly a huge fan of making picture frames, I do LOVE the fact that it allows me to pull out my shooing board to get that 45 degree angle dialed in! Those are the best inventions ever, and someone should really buy the guy who thought it up a beer!
I reinforced the miters with purpleheart splines (whatever they’re called) to ensure that the frame stays together for life. I use another jig that I made for the table saw for those. It’s a simple shoe that slips over my fence with a 90 cradle that you put the frame into to cut the slots.
The finish was supposed to be a simple oil/varnish blend (equal parts tung oil, Arm-R-Seal, and mineral spirits), but for some reason I was having curing issues on this one. After 3 coats of the blend, it was still sticky after letting it sit overnight after each coat. So, there was only one thing left to do… whip out a can of shellac and be done with it! The finish turned out great after a couple light coats of shellac.
The front “glass” is actually acrylic, which I was really skeptical about the first time I used it in another pic frame. It turned out perfect though, and I have been using acrylic ever since. I also did all the matting myself and used a 1/8” piece of masonite for the backer board. All in all, the project turned out nice, and it was even better when we mounted my wife, Gretchen’s photography in it. Isn’t she talented!!
I can’t wait to see what our teamwork will do for raising funds for the charity. I’ll post an update on how much it went for at action.
-- I don't make mistakes, I make design challenges!