|Project by bit101||posted 03-19-2014 08:32 PM||2225 views||12 times favorited||5 comments|
Nothing amazing here, but it does the job and I’m happy with it. 3/4” MDF as a base. 3/4” strips for everything else. I opted for clamps rather than slotting the MDF to secure the fence and I’m happy with the way it turned out.
Some things I learned:
1. The front part of the stop block tends to turn when I tighten the knob. In retrospect, I would have secured the middle piece to the front rather than the back, which might have helped. The bolt is epoxied to the back now though. Maybe I’ll try to throw a dowel or something between the two to keep it from turning.
2. I’m not real happy with the insert. I routed a 1/2” lip in the inset hole for a 1/2” inset to rest on. But I think I went a bit too deep, so now the inset rests too far below the surface. I managed to shim it up a bit, but… I may just cut it out completely and use a 3/4” inset. Also, if I do that, I’ll probably make it 4” square (it’s 3” now) and offset it so I can rotate it around to get more use out of it.
I also had a lot of fun making the knobs. Those seem to be a popular project around here. :) I just traced a bunch out on 1/2” plywood and cut them on the scroll saw. Made a bunch extra and keep finding places to use them.