|Project by emetric||posted 163 days ago||1974 views||5 times favorited||15 comments|
For those of you that frequent lumberjocks, you might remember the chest of drawers that I built for my son from cull lumber purchased at home depot for $0.51 each. Well, I made this tv stand for my kids out of the leftover material. I used some very deformed 2×6s to make this project (I guess you could say that I am getting better at milling stock).
My kids came to me and asked that I make them a TV stand for their room because the TV was formerly on top of the chest of drawers which made watching TV and playing games from the bed difficult. So I set about designing (actually more like looking at other stands for inspiration and inventorying the materials I had on hand for dimensional limitations) the stand had to be relatively short and it had to have enough space for the Xbox and ps3 to fit along with games and accessories. after looking at a ton of TV stands, I decided that I wanted this stand to look like the chest of drawers that I had built earlier with one wide drawer and an open shelf. Most of the dimensions were chosen based on materials that I had on hand for example, the bottom is a dust frame that I had made many years ago for a project that never materialized. The dust frame was 30” wide and that became the width of the shelf and the drawer opening.
The top was made from 3 pieces of spruce 2×6 that were milled to just over an inch thick that were edge glued together. The top was then leveled with a card scraper and random orbit sander, the ends were planed with my block plane and sanded smooth. The curves and taper on the legs were cut on the bandsaw and smoothed out with my oscillating spindle sander. The sides panels and shelf are made of 3/4” spruce laminations. The shelf and the bottom are dadoed into the side panels. The side panels and aprons are attached to the legs with dominos. The top is attached with shop made wooden buttons that fit into mortices in the top rails and side panels. The drawer rides on 12” full extension slides. The drawer sides are 1/2 spruce (re-sawed fro the 2×6s) that I joined together with a locking dado type joint. The joint turned out to be not quite strong enough in spruce and I broke it when I first opened the drawer because the shellac coat was still a little tacky and it got stuck. so I glued it back together and inserted a no. 5 domino that I flush cut and sanded smooth. The dividers are also 1/2” spruce dadoed into the front and back of the drawer box. The two compartments on either side each hold approx. 20 DVDs or video game cases. The stand was then stained with Varathane premium wood stain (awesome product by the way) and topped with three coats of unwaxed shellac which was then block sanded and waxed.
All in all, I feel that the project was very successful. The wife and kids loved it and the finish came out great (the last pic shows the finish before block sanding and waxing)! As always enjoy and feel free to leave a comment. I do really enjoy the comments by the way.
-- "One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it." Master Oogway