|Project by NaptownWood||posted 03-19-2014 03:14 AM||787 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
This is the closest to Art that I have gotten to this point. I was also practicing the art of bowl photography :) I need better light out in the garage around the lathe.
I learned too much to post here while hacking this thing out.
First of all, the taco effect was the result of 19 microwave sessions, and it got dry, so dry that it soaked up tons of color and oil. The taco effect I wasn’t expecting, and the bowl got smaller because of it. Its really pronounced. I did learn that you can get the transtint (liquid drops dissolved in water) to really soak into the wood during the microwaving cycles. I think it almost achieves a sort of vacuum spongy effect as the green wood is expelling moisture when heated and sort of letting it rest like a steak during cooling cycle and soaking it back up. Same thing goes for the first soaking of danish oil, it pulled it right in. The wife wanted a new microwave, so i have a little one out in the garage now about 5’ from the lathe, which is awesome.
also learned it is damn near impossible to keep a bowl like this on the lathe for a few days without chipping some of the outter bark off of the lip. I will try harder next time, maybe try to seal it up first.
Lots of steel wool, then more…
The colorant is Transtint.
Then 3 quick coats of Danish oil.
2 of General Finishes wipe on poly…
Still not done for sure…..
-- Witty signature line still pending