|Project by jfk4032||posted 03-18-2014 06:01 PM||1460 views||2 times favorited||16 comments|
My latest intarsia piece is for my oldest son who graduated from JMU both undergrad and grad. I tried a few new techniques on this one that opened my eyes going forward on how I’ll attack all of my intarsia pieces. The most enlightening was the double bevel cutting technique.
It allowed for almost perfect fits between contrasting pieces and by varying the angles I could adjust how high the top pieces would stand proud so I had some dimension sticking above the base piece to give the top pieces shape, depth and contours, yet fit perfectly to the piece below.
I also turned over 40 pieces on my lathe for the cape spikes, whiskers, eyes and crown jewels. I used holly, ebony, purpleheart, yellowheart, blue pine, pink ivory and wenge. 144 piece overall and the dimensions are 13×16 which was way too small in hindsight. I had to work with some extremely small pieces as you can see the scale of it in pictures 4 & 5.
I finished the blue pine (grey pieces) with water based urethane and after several coats of sanding and finish I steel wooled the pieces for a nice soft look with 0000.
Another new technique was that I enhanced the purpleheart prior to finishing by carefully going across the surface with a minitorch. This really brought the purple color to life. It took some practice on some scrap pieces to get the hang of it and not burn the wood, but a great technique to keep in the arsenal. I used satin lacquer spray cans for the purpleheart pieces to retain the most vivid purple color after testing several other finishes. The balance of the pieces were finished with several coats of wipe on satin poly then steel wooled with 0000.
The other new technique I used was to attach the smaller pieces with hot melt to dowels to make them easier to hold and apply the finishes along with a “holie grid” base piece of scrap to hold all of the pieces. For the other extremely small pieces, I held them in place with double sided tape onto other scrap boards. For the spikes I drilled holes into another piece of scrap so only the top part of the spikes would get the finish. This made it easy to apply the finish and keep the level of where the finish went onto the piece precise and consistent. They were such tight fits that any excess finish where it fit into the hole could prevent it from seating into the hole come assembly time.
Hope you guys like it! I know my son and his school buddies sure do.
-- ---Joel; Central MD...rookie empter nester and getting back into woodworking!