|Project by scruboak51||posted 03-18-2014 05:40 PM||1869 views||1 time favorited||9 comments|
Another project complete using my thrift store score of redwood roots.
I’ve been trying my hand at the blog feature, there you can find more details on the build
For the condensed version, this started as a pretty nasty piece of redwood drift wood found at the most unlikely of places; a local thrift shop. The raw piece was pretty nasty, there was a good bit of punky areas to contend with, but the price was right so I decided to give it new life.
I cut the initial chunk into two with my old crosscut saw, then proceeded to use an angle grinder with a flap disc to make quick work of knocking off the weathered patina and stripping away the punky wood.
After the basic shaping I flattened to the and bottom using a router jig and finally spent a good 3 or 4 hours sanding mostly with a random orbital sander (and a bit by hand).
Finish is 3ish coats of shellac.
What is really unique about this piece is that there is no true top, bottom, front or back. It really gives you something interesting from just about any angle.
Plan for now is to try to sell this locally and turn those proceed back into the hobby. Sometimes it’s hard to let go, so that plan may change..
One note, yes, my living room floor is plywood… currently in the middle of laying hardwood floors.