|Project by Josdkell||posted 03-15-2014 06:37 PM||728 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
I carved this set in 2004 while I was in college. It was the 3rd thing I had ever carved and took a full year from start to finish, when time allowed. They are carved from basswood I purchased from Rockler I finished them with toung oil, some colored stains, and lacquer. I used a graphite pencil to color the eyes. I used flex cut knives, chisels, and a Dremel rotary tool. I learned more about depth as I progressed and used the Dremel less and less. I used some razor blades/scalpels for the detail work on the face and hands. I had difficulties with the flow of the robes and maintaining a uniform size to the pieces. I also learned the value of wearing gloves! I gave the set to my son but I now am going to make a second for my 9 week old.