|Project by MHarper90||posted 03-10-2014 02:23 AM||1265 views||2 times favorited||8 comments|
This is a mantle I made for my parents’ corner gas fireplace. The builder left it with ALOT of tile around (and a horrible window overhead). Before and after pictures above!
I built it in place as opposed to in the shop and carrying it in. I built the surface out about 2.75” from the inside edges of the mantle, out to the wall (notice the white walls to the outside of the mantle that otherwise would have shown tile). Once I built the wall out I mounted 3/4” pine boards, leaving a 3.5” total depth to the tile and a 3/4” depth on the outside to the new wall surface. Then I just installed a bunch of off-the-shelf moldings to make it look nice.
It took several days due to the amount of filling and sanding I had to do with nail holes and small gaps in the miters. This is my first project that I’ve done since being home from my previous job as a woodworker (home until I go active duty in 2 weeks with the Navy). I REALLY missed having that nice wood shop. I did this whole thing with a battery powered circular saw and an old miter saw. It’s true that you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone! Plus I learned that painting dental molding is worse than getting teeth pulled!