LumberJocks

Thien Baffle, Version 1

  • Advertise with us
Project by Holbs posted 138 days ago 1545 views 11 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch

My first attempt at a Thien Baffle. The stats:
- 16” high top hat chamber made out of 1/2” MDF.
- 55 gallon drum with 99cent 3/4” pipe insulation as sealing medium (hay… it works!).
- 6” short piece of spiral pipe squashed with my foot to become 8.5” x 4” oval at the inlet.
- 1/16” lexan x 16” high x 60” length (pretty sure it was 60”) sitting in a 1/8” deep groove (went through 2 bits for this).
- 1/8” hardboard sitting on top of the center baffle with the 1/2” MDF underneath recessed 1” away from rim.
- wanted to see what would happen if i did a 45 degree bevel at the bottom part of the lexan so that debris will not accumulate at bottom of the lexan. it works.
- all circular routing was done with the MicroFence and circular jig. What a life saver! Will have to do a “Review” on this product soon.
- for some reason, my Grizzly has a 6” inlet at the blower instead of 7” like everyone else’s in the world. instead of buying $50+ for a 10’ length of flex 6” hose, using HVAC 6” 26gauge was much much cheaper. $20?
- i cut a 14” hole on top of the baffle and a cover plate for future: possibly installing 6” bellmouth, cleaning, changing height for fine tuning, etc.
- the arc cut is wrong in these pictures except for the final. i cut the start of the arc TOO close to the inlet… and the end of the arc TOO far away from the inlet… it’s suppose to be the other way around. I had to redo the baffle plate.
- the blue barrel is raised so the inlet is same height as my 2” x 12” board that goes around my shop (which i used to hide my shop remodel electrical runs). this gives me future ‘space’ to find a way to lower the barrel to empty and this will be where my main runs of 6” will go.
- did a test run and things turned out aok. lexan didnt flex at all under vacuum, some planer debris i had laying around all fell thru the arc cut (looks to be 100%). i’m unsure of the fine dust collection to the grizzly DC itself as i have to fine tune the outlet height still.

things i have learned from this project:
1.) never again use MDF for major projects. This was the first time cutting MDF. I learned REALLY fast to cut outside of the work shop.
2.) MDF dulls blades and router bits fast. If i have to dabble with MDF, i’ll but cheap bits and blades that are disposable afterwards.
3.) i’m terrible at precision cuts and making things square. i think i rush and do not double check.





4 comments so far

View Greg D's profile

Greg D

199 posts in 549 days


#1 posted 138 days ago

Nice work, I need to make myself one!

-- Greg D, Cen. CA, "Keep it on the Level, Do it Right the First Time!"

View squaretree's profile

squaretree

145 posts in 169 days


#2 posted 137 days ago

My grizzly has a 5 inch inlet. Still looking for some flex hose for it myself…..

-- if you can't find me, just follow the extension cord

View Holbs's profile

Holbs

508 posts in 627 days


#3 posted 137 days ago

i “might” redo the inlet to grizzly HVAC to add 3 more adjustable elbows to give a more smooth bending action than what i have now.

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

3146 posts in 2421 days


#4 posted 137 days ago

Hope this unit works out for you mine has been one of the best project Ive made for my shop. Also I could not agree with you more about MDF, really have no need for that mess!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase