|Project by Bearpaw||posted 142 days ago||1902 views||8 times favorited||12 comments|
I have tried to make bent wood rings, but in sanding I end up with flat spots. I thought that if I could find a small CHEAP lathe to spin the ring while I sand them, I would be able to have a more uniform shape and finish.
It is hard to find an old fashion sewing machine motor CHEAPLY. (Yes, I am cheap.) A friend gave me a more modern sewing machine, but the motor is much different. This really made things easier. There was a gear to be removed and shaft cut to length. To attach the turning to the shaft I took a threaded rod coupling nut to fellow Lumberjock Rufus Carswell to drill out one end of the nut to match the shaft diameter. It was then epoxied to the shaft. In the other end I attached a hanger bolt with one end with machine threads and the other with wood threads. The turning was then attached to the shaft. This turning is a tapered rod that I can put a ring blank on and hold in place by pushing it until there is a tight fit.
The shaft housing was 1 1/4” diameter. I drilled a hole in a block of wood. Then I ripped it to create a cradle to hold the shaft. It is held to the wood base by hose clamps cut in half then attached to the side of the block. Then it is attached to a plywood base.
A tail stock was made from a 3” x 3” x 3/8” aluminum angle. I drilled and tapped a hole for a bolt that I had tapered one end. This supported the other end of the turning.
The original sewing machine had a knee controlled speed controller. I replaced that with a push on/off variable switch normally used for household lights.
I tested it and it really works. It will not take a heavy load, so you have to be light with your touch.
This should make it easier to make groves for inlays.
Hoping that it will not be long before I can post my first ring.
-- "When we build, let us think we build forever." John Ruskin