|Project by Nitreug||posted 03-08-2014 06:27 PM||1195 views||1 time favorited||3 comments|
I built this vase to decorate my house a little bit. The inspiration was this project I saw some time ago:
The vase is made of african mahogany selected with the straightest grain possible. The vase was made of a single board to have matching grain on the four sides. I used my new domino for the alignment and I was pleasantly surprised to see how well it works at angles other than 0 and 90. The corners and top were all rounded over with the same bit. The top received a round-over on the inside and outside face. The bottom is just some scrap MDF.
The legs are made of chechen and as you can see in the 4th picture, the lumber was full of cracks and splits so I had to glue small pieces together to rebuild boards to make the legs. I experimented a little bit with the shape of the legs and ended up with this shape. I built a template out of scrap plywood.
The finish was a two step process. I wanted to highlight the grain a little so I applied a single coat of Wacto Medium Walnut Danish Oil. I used it before on another project (red oak table) and it worked really well to highlight the open pores. Also, I get the impression like it has an aged effect on the mahogany but that could just be me. Finally, I glued the legs and applied 2-3 coats of a wiping varnish.
Finally, I bought the “bouquet” / flowers and put it in! It now serves no purpose other than looking good!