|Project by RussellAP||posted 143 days ago||1066 views||5 times favorited||13 comments|
Made from fir 8’ 2×4’s. The top consists of 24 boards planed to a 30” width. Frames are steel, welded together.
This baby weighs over 400 lbs.
I worked with Charles Neil on the finish and am very pleased even though the clients chose the method that Charles said would cost me a lot of sand paper, lol.
The fir was first treated with two coats of green tea to add tannins, then when dry I gave it a bath in white distilled vinegar that had some steel wool in it for a couple days.
Then I used some junk bolts and clips and some small pebbles from the driveway to add distress marks.
I ended up using less marks and dents because this is a large surface and if I did it like the sample it would be very busy looking.
Then I coated the surfaces with sanding sealer before the dark mahogany gel stain was applied and wiped off. The sanding sealer didn’t seal all that stain out so I came back with a drill sander with some 180 on it and did the worst job I could possible do in sanding out some of the dark mahogany. Then when that dried I came back over the entire thing with Puritan pine gel stain for color. Then satin top coat.
The steel frames were painted with ‘Hammered Steel’ spray paint.
The original piece from the catalog.
Thanks for looking.
-- A positive attitude will take you much further than positive thinking ever will.