|Project by bbandu||posted 03-05-2014 10:04 PM||2033 views||2 times favorited||13 comments|
Ok so about 3 years ago I decided to upgrade my Saltwater tank from a 90g to 150g tank. So I began the adventure of building a stand and canopy for my new tank.
Well since I live in Califorina and we have lots of earthquakes here I decided to go with a metal frame for the stand.
I used 1 1/2 square steel tubing for the frame.
Welding it up
Frame welded and gusset plates installed
Stand primed ready for exterior coating for rust prevention
Well now that I had the stand frame complete it was time to get to the real heart of the project the woodworking side.
I decided to use 3/4” Birch plywood for the poplar for the stand. All trim was made from the poplar so it all matched after staining.
Stand framed with trim
Door frames (used the same 3/4 Birch plywood for the inserts) this allowed about 1/2” of the insert panal to stick out the back of the door. I did this because I wanted the door to hold its own weight, all doors are attached with magnets for east removal.
The canopy was also built with removable doors as well as a toy box lid for easy access to the inside of the tank. The lights that I was going to install required the use of ballast. Ballast in aquarium lights tend to get hot and I did not want this heat inside the enclosed canopy. I created a built in box inside the canopy to house the ballast but still allow the aquarium to be completly against the wall.
Doors complete, stand and canopy complete
Final product stained with mahagony stain.
And this is why I built it.