|Project by garbonsai||posted 03-04-2014 05:46 PM||3372 views||41 times favorited||15 comments|
A little while back, I was showing my Dad the drill press table in ShopNotes issue #94 that I had started building, and we flipped past the thin strip ripping jig featured in the same issue (and, apparently, in other issues—you can download the plans from ShopNotes website, where they indicate it comes from issue #105). “Hold on”, he said, and ran downstairs. A few minutes later he returned, triumphantly holding the 1-1/2” bearing I ended up using in this jig. Apparently, he has a whole box of them.
Anyway, I had some spare birch plywood, and decided to go ahead and put this jig together. I had to modify the plan a bit to accommodate the press-fit shaft that was already installed in the bearing, as it was already taller than a single piece of 3/4” plywood is thick (hence the 1/2” MDF added to the base). I also changed where the miter bar (maple) mounted to give myself a wider range of possible strip widths. Finally, the plans I used called for 1/4” slots and 1/4” hardboard runners. 1/4” for hardboard is nominal thickness—it actually varies anywhere from 5/32” to 7/32”—so I ended up using MDF for the runners, as 1/4” MDF is actually 1/4”. The knobs are from the same batch as I used on my table saw fence/blade alignment jig.
The tape measure is a cheap pocket ruler I picked up at Harbor Freight that I cut to length with a Dremel. The indicator is a 3/8” piece of polycarbonate (scrap from yet another project) that I scribed a line on the back side of. I slotted the holes in the indicator, so I can zero it out on blades with various kerfs.
The pictures were taken just after I finished zeroing out the indicator, hence the placement next to—rather than in front of—the blade. It works well—certainly better than the back corner of one of my featherboards, tilted at an angle.
-- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.