|Project by ChrisMc45||posted 03-02-2014 10:29 PM||1235 views||0 times favorited||6 comments|
This is the first Mission project I tried as a ‘newlywed’, I think it worked out okay. I wish that I could have found better matching boards for the top, but I am still learning about selection at the lumberyard. The 52 mortices for the spindles were “cheated” by dadoing the stretchers, then sliding in a part with 13 open gaps done by cross-dado-ing a board, then ripping a slice to go into the dado of the stretchers.
If I were hard-core, I would have mortise-and-tenoned the end assemblies. I used biscuits and it seems to hold together fine.
Finish was stain, poly, then paste wax. I attached the top with Lee Valley table-top attachers screwed to the top and shelf, fitted into sawn slots in the rails. I forgot the library book I copied the plans from, dangit.